Saturday, February 24, 2007

My


My
Originally uploaded by
rogenadel.

My Trip Journal continues.
My nephew My (pronounced me), the biggest surprise. Before going to Vietnam, I never thought very much about the family there. We would occassionaly receive pictures, and a phone call to my mother-in-law a couple of times a year but I didn't know any names, just the oldest brother. And I did not even begin to think about the extended family. Was I in for a surprise!
After we arrived, we immediately went to my oldest brother's youngest son's house to get him. He wasn't ready, so we just continued on to Ba Ria. After a few minutes, an older nephew, with another young man, arrived on a motor scooter next to us. In 1994, a niece and a nephew had both gotten married in Vietnam, they had sent pictures to us. I had looked through the pictures a hundred times trying to figure out who was Anh Hue's children (he has six).
There was one young man in the pictures who I could not figure out who he was. He was always smiling, seeming to have the most fun, looked very young, and different.
So, back to the scooter. There on the scooter was the mystery man/boy. I immediately recognized him. I couldn't believe he was Anh Hue's youngest son. His name is My, it means American in Vietnamese. The funniest thing is that he looks American (whatever that means). I guess a better way of saying it is, he doesn't look Vietnamese. He smiled alot.

We continue on to Anh Hue's house in Ba Ria. I can definitely say that first trip was one of astonishment. The traffic, nothing short of pandomonium. Everyone driving, no lanes, no redlights, just a continuous blowing horn to warn people to get out of the way. It was wild!

And the further away from Saigon we got, the more beautiful the countryside. Green, a green like I have never seen in the states. Mountains, beautiful mountains.

After arriving in Ba Ria, we went to find food. Rice and pork chops, the most delicious dish. While Ms. Thi was eating, my nephew took me to an internet cafe, and I had the opportunity to email my family. At this point, I could not fathom that I was actually there.

We went home to Anh Hue's house. And then we all sat around and visited. I just sat and tried to learn everyone's name. There is nothing funnier than an American trying to pronounce Vietnamese names, an American who deosn't speak the language anyway. A family reunion. I sat ther looking at the walls of Anh Hue's house thinking I can't believe I am here.

No comments: