Monday, January 29, 2007

Another Sweet Baby



Ethan
Originally uploaded by
rogenadel.
It has been awhile. Life is a little more than busy, crazy, wild. Work is the same unending race. I wonder how many live this way with their job or how many people actually have a calm, slow, 100% enjoyable, relaxing day at work. Don't misunderstand. Work is enjoyable most of the time. The children are wonderful and watching them discover things is the most amazing thing in the world, especially when they are succeeding. But sometimes, there is too much to do and not enough time. Right now we are battling some type of virus, cough epidemic. We have so many children absent, including my own. Coughing, fever, feeling yucky. Hoping for a little bit more healthy.
We have also had the pleasure to welcome another baby to our extensive set of friends. Congratulations B & B on your beautiful baby boy! He is precious. At this wonderful time, I sit back and reflect on the days when I would pray to God that you would be blessed with one baby, at the least, and now God has given you two beautiful angels. It is the most amazing thing. I eagerly look forward to watching them grow, and you enjoying them.
My mother-in-law is still in the hospital. She began dialysis last week. A bit weary with this procedure. Not sure how her life will change now and what does it hold for us. When a loved one is sick, you realize how much you take for granted when they are healthy. Today, I would give anything to see her home and sitting up and talking to us, anything. I am really struggling with the idea that the doctors may not be able to give her medicine to make her better. I am praying.
I went to church Sunday and had a very enjoyable time. Every service I am amazed by the stories in the Bible. It is the most interesting book. There seem to be stories about everything, and I have read only a few. I am thankful for this new walk.
Yesterday, my mom's family got together and had our first batch of crawfish this season. They were pretty good. It was really kind of weird. We got together at my grandmother's house, which was also my great-grandmother's house, the only house I ever remember my great-grandmother living in. Since I had a memory, my cousin and I (AR) would play there together. Her family lived next door to my great grandmother and my great-grandmother was her grandmother. She was the baby grandchild and my great-grandmother's favorite. We would play all the time. She used to have a clothes line in the yard that we would do flips on, it is gone now. The yard used to be so big, it seemed. My cousin would do cart wheels and all kinds of "tricks". I couldn't even do a cartwheel. It is funny to remember now. And yesterday, seeing all of our family there, together, just seemed really weird to think this house had been there for so long, and we had created all of these family memories there, and we keep on creating, now with our own children. My daughter slept in my grandmother's bed most of the day. Even that was weird to lay in the room and look at all of the little knickknacks my grandmother has. The whole experience was a really good feeling.

4 comments:

Jon Hoff said...

Hi Rogena
Thanks for visiting my site so much. When I know I have some dedicated readers it keeps me motivated to keep it all going. Nice to read about your life -- however, I'm still a little unclear on the Vietnam connection....ur husband is Vietnamese? And did u meet in the US?

Rogena said...

Hi Jon,

Thanks for posting. I enjoy seeing pictures of Vietnam, especially Saigon. My husband is Amerasian, a product of the war. His father was an American civilian working in Vietnam, his mother Vietnamese. He brought my husband, his brother, and his mother to the states when Saigon fell. Then committed suicide. My husband’s family eventually moved to south Louisiana, and we met in high school. Since I have been with him (17 years), my dream has always been to go to Vietnam. In the summer of 05, I brought my mother-in-law back. She hadn’t been back since 75 and has three older sons that live in Ba Ria. Needless to say it was greater than any dream I imagined. If it possible, I absolutely fell in love with the country. It is beautiful, more beautiful than any pictures. The food, wow. So fresh. Nothing I have ever eaten here at home compares to how good the food is, especially the French loaves in the morning. And the family. Life is so simple compared to the rat race we live everyday. My family there is wonderful. If my husband would agree to it, I would move to Vietnam tomorrow, teach (I am an elementary teacher), and let my children learn something new (I have two). We are hoping to go back next year, my husband-Ricky, and my two children. I have three nephews and two nieces who live in Saigon, along with everyone else in Ba Ria. And Saigon is so exciting. It seems to have a pulse all its own. My American family doesn’t understand my love for the country and the people, so it is really cool to read blogs where people seem to feel and enjoy what I think I feel. I hope that is not too much info for you. I still find the whole blog thing kind of weird, considering I really don’t know any person that I read about.

Again, thanks for posting and the pics, it is really wonderful to see. Rogena

Jon Hoff said...

Wow! Very interesting.
I can assure you, I have a love of this city that I can't explain. Sometimes it gets to me, but whenever I leave I pine to go back. Flying back to Saigon after being away for a while still gives me such a buzz.
Life is very simple here. I am very fortunate to be an a position to earn USD well above average Vietnamese wages, so accomodation and all living costs come relatively cheap. Fresh food - can't beat it! I've heard stories about the US - it's even a struggle to find fresh fruit and veg in the supermarket...correct??!!
How old are your kids...?
The benefits of exposing young people to an experience like this is huge. My friend for example -- she's English with a Vietnamese husband, and they send their daughter to the French school here -- she speaks three languages and she's 6 years old. Not bad!
I hope you can convince your husband to make the move!

Rogena said...

Simple life, my greatest desire. That was the one revelation I came home with, the biggest revelation. How much unnecessary junk we have here at home. It was life changing. My husband jokes about moving there when we retire, I am ready now. My children are 9 and 4. My daughter is always asking when are we going to go. I promised her next summer, 08, would be it. Just to be exposed to another culture, her heritage nonetheless, I think has got to be one of the most awesome things. Three languages? Does it get any better? And the food. People here at home have no idea what they are missing, and how we are being fooled into thinking things are fresh. There truly is no comparison. I have a Vietnamese coworker, who actually went back the same time as me in 05. She jokes about us teaching English there. How hard is it to get a job? Do you know that you need any special certification?